Switching companies and work permit

From a very top-level, the process is as follows:

  1. your current employer needs to cancel your work permit
  2. your new employer needs to apply for your new work permit
  3. apply for your new residence permit

The process should be less time-consuming than your first time getting your work permit. This time round, you do not need to provide your Chinese CV, non-criminal record, health exam, and your graduation certificate. That already shaves off a month of waiting and messy admin stuff. Woohoo, congrats!!

Once your employer cancels your work permit, you will receive a “proof of work permit cancellation” from the foreigner’s work permit department with their chop on it. Your new employer will need that paper when they apply for your new work permit. 

Documents Required for changing employers(BOTH soft and hard copies):

  • Application form(generated on the online application system)
  • Contract with new employer
  • Your old residence permit
  • Your passport ID page
  • Proof of work permit cancellation (外国人来华工作许可注销证明) for your old work permit

(work in progress)

  1. Submit the documents on the online platform
  2. Submit the documents in-person
  3. Pick-up the the work-permit
  4. Go apply for your residence-permit

Documents Required for residence permit:


That’s it. 


Visa-related Articles

Shanghai Life Articles

FINALLY some good news for expats stranded outside of China

FINALLY some good news for many expats stranded outside of China If you have a valid residence permit for work, personal matter(Q) or reunion(S) then you can return to China starting from Monday September 28 00:00am without having to apply for an extra entry visa / PU invitation letter. However, if your residence permit expired

Read More »

Link your international bank card to Alipay!!

Source: Alipay I appreciate the efforts that the Chinese government is making for the tourists. After all, imagine tourists who want to pay by cash but various establishments cannot provide change due to the lack of local residents paying by cash. For example, I would not be surprised if food vendors at China International Import

Read More »

Online residence registration with the police now available!

Online self-service residence registration with the police now live!! We are all familiar with the law that mandates all foreigners to register their residence within 24hours of arrival at a police station. This causes headaches for both expats and foreign tourists that may result in penalties. (If you stay in hotels, then you’re fine. The

Read More »
Scroll to Top