How to apply for a residence permit in Shanghai

** Work Permit and Residence Permit are different things. If you do not have your work permit yet, you need to do that first. See how to apply for a work permit or work visa in Shanghai. **

Residence Permit – Required Documents

Registration Form of Temporary Residence – Register your residence at a police station – *tip* if you have stayed at a hotel in Shanghai, then re-register at the police station that is in charge of your residential address. I have met a case where someone went on a business trip in the outskirts of Shanghai and stayed at a hotel there. As part of the standard hotel check-in process, the hotel registered him at the relevant police station.

The original business license + 1 Copy of the China Company Business License with employer official seal

[For WFOE] The original China Company Approval certificate & photocopy of it with employer official seal

A statement from your company

Once you have all the documents, you and your HR are ready to go submit your visa application to the Shanghai Exit-Entry Bureau

Visa-related Articles

Shanghai Life Articles

Link your international bank card to Alipay!!

Source: Alipay I appreciate the efforts that the Chinese government is making for the tourists. After all, imagine tourists who want to pay by cash but various establishments cannot provide change due to the lack of local residents paying by cash. For example, I would not be surprised if food vendors at China International Import

Read More »

Online residence registration with the police now available!

Online self-service residence registration with the police now live!! We are all familiar with the law that mandates all foreigners to register their residence within 24hours of arrival at a police station. This causes headaches for both expats and foreign tourists that may result in penalties. (If you stay in hotels, then you’re fine. The

Read More »

Work days & weekend switch-a-roo China International Import Expo 2019

China International Import Expo 2019’s Workday and Weekends Switcharoo for Shanghai Residents Have you seen more police, flowers, quick roadside work or paint jobs on the streets of Shanghai recently?  That’s because it’s that time of year when the government wants us off the streets and clear the way for visitors from people from all

Read More »
Scroll to Top