Good Samaritan Case Study 2:

Private Visit Visa(S2) - consulting with the immigration officer on how to stay longer during covid-19 pandemic period

From Samaritan #2:

“I haven’t gone through the process yet, but I asked the bureau and they said it was possibly to extend my stay without canceling my multiple entry [S2] visa.

I have an S2 10-year visa and my automatic 60-day extension ends on June 15th.

I went to the Pudong Exit-Entry Bureau, and they said my visa can be extended by the number of days of my stay (i.e. mine is 90 days per entry, so I’ll have an extension of 90 days) and my S2 visa will NOT be cancelled.

Ask them what you’ll need for it:

But for me, with family living here, I would need my birth certificate stamped by the Shanghai US consulate.
I would need a copy of a family member’s passport and visa.
And I would need an invitation letter from them.

After the 90 days are over, there’s an option of getting a residence permit (which Will cancel whatever is your current visa)
So now I’m not rushing to buy a plane ticket anymore. ✌🏾

Hope this information can help others out.”

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, Good Samaritan #2!

I would like to remind everyone that extensions(except the 60-day automatic extensions) are considered on a case-by-case basis at the exit-entry bureau and that you should also visit an exit-entry in-advance, like good samaritan #2 has, to explain your situation and show all your documents you would need for the application to the immigration officer and make sure you have everything you need for getting an extension.

Please consider sharing your experiences in extending your stay in China and paying it forward to inform others during this challenging time. You can email your experiences / findings at shanghai exit entry at gmail dot com, all in one word. Thank you.  

Visa-related Articles

Shanghai Life Articles

FINALLY some good news for expats stranded outside of China

FINALLY some good news for many expats stranded outside of China If you have a valid residence permit for work, personal matter(Q) or reunion(S) then you can return to China starting from Monday September 28 00:00am without having to apply for an extra entry visa / PU invitation letter. However, if your residence permit expired

Read More »

Link your international bank card to Alipay!!

Source: Alipay I appreciate the efforts that the Chinese government is making for the tourists. After all, imagine tourists who want to pay by cash but various establishments cannot provide change due to the lack of local residents paying by cash. For example, I would not be surprised if food vendors at China International Import

Read More »

Online residence registration with the police now available!

Online self-service residence registration with the police now live!! We are all familiar with the law that mandates all foreigners to register their residence within 24hours of arrival at a police station. This causes headaches for both expats and foreign tourists that may result in penalties. (If you stay in hotels, then you’re fine. The

Read More »
Scroll to Top