Chris asked 4 years ago

please need your advice about the next situation. If I am not able to extend my residence permit will I be given a stay permit for how many times? Or it’s just once? Or I can apply for second after the first one is expire? 

2 Answers
smooth-administrator Staff answered 4 years ago

Hey Chris,
Please read this link first:

I’m assuming you’re in China… is it a residence permit attached to a work permit?
Anyways, if you’re not renewing your work permit or whatever status you’ve had, then when it expires, you can stay for 2 more months under the “60-day automatic extension” policy. This is a one-time deal.

If you want to continue to stay longer after that, then 7 business days before the 60-day automatic extension ends, you should apply for your stay permit. You would most likely get 30 days unless you have a compelling reason (that you must be able to prove with documents) to stay longer.

Before the 30-day stay permit ends, you must apply again for another stay permit. You basically have to re-apply for the stay permit every 30days, each time proving why you must extend your stay – i.e. bad virus situation back in your home country.. no available flights… unfinished business in China… etc.

Good luck, Chris.

smooth-administrator Staff answered 4 years ago

(Assuming you’re on a work permit right now)..
Also, during the 60-day automatic extension, if you get another job offer, you can apply for a work permit during this extension period. 

Scroll to Top