Q & A Forumq2-visa-extension
Min Fei asked 4 years ago

I currently have a multiple entry Q2 visa that is valid until 2029. I am currently in Shanghai, but will need to exit China before March 23 so as not to overstay my visa of 120 days. My question is whether there is a way to extend this current visit without making my old visa void as it does still have a 9 year validity. Thanks. 

1 Answers
smooth-administrator Staff answered 4 years ago

Hi Min Fei,
They introduced an automatic visa extension that applies to all foreign passport holders currently in China with a valid visa(including business visas – which is hard to get any form of extensions usually!!) expiring or has expired during the virus period(no end date yet). Such people get 2 month extra grace period from the date of your expiration. 

i.e. Your visa expired recently and you leave China on day 59(March 23+59 days) after your visa has expired, the immigration officer at the airport will not penalize you. They should not give you any trouble. 
Hope that’s good news and saves some trouble for you for the time being. 
Good luck, stay safe and healthy!

Scroll to Top