Chinese visa: Renewal and Extension

Q & A ForumChinese visa: Renewal and Extension
Cindy asked 5 years ago

Currently working as an Intern in Shanghai until March 18, I’m holding a F Visa, 150 days, single entry. I’m European and have a Luxembourgish passport.
I am planning to extend my stay in Shanghai after March and would like to look after a second internship or look for a permanent job in Shanghai after the end of my internship. Therefore, I would like to know if it is possible to extend the duration of my chinese visa after the expiration date or should I apply for a new visa? If yes, how long can I extend the duration of my stay? Which type of visa should I apply for? Do I have to go back to Luxembourg and apply for a new visa or can I apply directly in China?
I would also apply for a multiple-entry visa to travel to Macau and outside China . Can I get this at the Shanghai Exit and Entry Administration Bureau?
Thank you very much for your help!
Best regards

1 Answers
smooth-administrator Staff answered 4 years ago

Hey Cindy, 
Sorry for the slow response. I was off on holidays…
It is very difficult to get a multiple entry visa now. The only way you’d get that is if you have a full-time job with a work permit or a study permit with a government recognized university. 
As for work permit, as long as you have 2 years of relevant work experience out side of China, you are eligible to get a work permit. If you don’t, I would recommend enrolling in a government recognized university. You’ll need to satisfy certain attendance requirements (a way for government to prevent those who apply for study permits but never show up to class and are engaging in other work in China) so you’d need to work out some sort of schedule with your internship employer. 
It is highly unlikely you will be able to extend your visa (as they have made it impossible to extend business visas). However, I’ve heard of cases where people on tourist visas were able to extend by 30 days. 
Have you secured your second internship yet? They should be able to provide visa assistance. Or I know an internship firm that I can connect you to as well that can possibly match you with another internship. 
Best of luck!! 
Happy holidays!!

Scroll to Top